Friday, February 14, 2020

The Road Shortens


The road shortens with the passage of time.
The anticipation that lengthens the drive on the way
to the destination is shortened
on the return.
The looking forward to
is much longer than the looking back

In the back of the Country Squire
looking at the road, at the cars behind
my brother’s breath on the glass.
"HELP WE'RE BEING KIDNAPPED"
And I laugh as the drivers following
smirk, if worriedly, at the two
crew-cut near-twins giggling.

As the smirking drivers each passed on the left
We were but two or three miles of one hundred and sixty.
The trip dragged on,
"Are we there yet?"
Nerves were fraying, for there were cousins long unseen, 
games to be played, sisters yet to torment.

"When are we stopping to eat?"
"He's cheating at Slug Bug, my arm hurts!"  
"He's sitting to close!"
Blessed arrival cannot come too soon.

In the back of the Country Squire
Two toe-headed near-twins sleep
most of the way.
Three hours that felt like three days now pass
in three minutes.

I am as close to eighty as I am to thirty-two.
It feels like it’s been a much longer
journey getting here than it will be
getting there
I have much to do
I best not sleep through the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment